Boosting literacy in a fun way
Speaking, reading and writing are the skills we all need to communicate, to understand each other – simply put, to live together as a community.
Literacy is a life skill that empowers. Critical thinking, our self-confidence, personal development, empathy and reflection are all linked to literacy. Being able to speak, read and write opens doors as language is the gateway to learning.
Our goal is to boost literacy in primary and secondary schools by using games, rhymes, songs and so much more to make reading and writing fun. Teachers from Germany, Iceland, Spain and Italy have collected a variety of activities to browse through.
Feel free to give us feedback or just say hello in our guestbook. And for now, have fun in your classrooms.
Decription of the Project
The EU Commission has found that 20 % of adults have weakness in language use. The project SPARROW will help to prevent this gap from the beginning.
This fact is the main reason, why we want to do the project:
"SPARROW" - Schools Promoting the Ability of Reading and Reactivating of Writing through Games"
The rational of this project is to preserve and increase students´ competence of speaking, reading and writing and to provide pupils` enjoyment of the language. Another aim of the project is to protect language games from oblivion. Knowledge of typical rituals and customs in connection with linguistic games.
That means in objectives:
1. How can we increase incentives for pupil training in reading and writing by using games? 2. How can we offer tailored learning opportunities to individual learners by using games? 3. How can we save the knowing of old traditional poems, nursery rhymes and limericks?
In our project "SPARROW", there are different target groups for these objectives:
1. Students from age 6 to 16; with them we want to increase their literacy from the beginning to the end of their "school-life", they learn from each other, for example the bigger students read for smaller ones and students with spezial needs.
2. Teachers in elementary school; they want to increase their competences to detect and address language and learning difficulties at an early stage of school learning.
3. Teachers in the higher school level can learn from the elementary school teachers how to handle with tenacious problems in speaking, reading and writing in an non-formal and playful way. Elementary school teachers already work a lot with educational games.
As a main outcome the project will produce different games to give the pupils a higher skill of reading (and writing) competence.
During the project, the partners will collect real examples, in which playing different games brings low-skilled pupils out of isolation and helps participating in school society. In this part mobility of teachers and students is necessary. In parts normal skilled pupils will play these games together with lower-skilled and by travelling and staying abroad they will get international experience.
The reason why we use games as a teaching method is because games´nature is non-formal, inclusive and integrative.
The project must be done internationally to...
1. develop, provide and enhance enjoyment of foreign languages,
2. recognize, apply and modify the speech patterns of the own language,
3. compare and transfer own speech patterns to foreign languages,
4. take away the uneasiness of unknown languages and foreign peoples,
5. promote tolerance, openness and awareness of the European citizenship.
After that the partners of the project, which are teachers in different school levels, will prove, how games could be implemented in their learning program for a better understanding, especially for lower-skilled pupils. The result of this project is a booklet with a pool of good examples of games which increasing literacy. Here again mobility of teachers and students is necessary.
At the end of the project the project partners will prove by doing and testing during real courses that playing games between pupils with different skills brings the pupils on a higher level in reading competence and assist the social integration.